I get a lot of questions asking me for tips on how to start a book blog. I thought I would make a post about how I got started and some tips that I learnt over the past year. Just a warning this is going to be a long post.
I started this blog over a year ago but I didn’t start to seriously blog until June of this year. It was hard to change blogging from a hobby into something more stable. You will spend a lot of time on the computer and reading. It will be stressful! I have a lot more headaches now because I am always interacting with my followers or writing posts or taking bookish photos. Blogging is hard and it will take a lot of your time up. I know for me my life is my blog, work, reading, and writing. If you want a successful blog you need to put a lot of effort into it but you can never lose the feeling of “my blog is fun, I am having the best time writing posts and interacting with other book nerds” because if you do then all of your hard work mean nothing.
I am going to break this post up into steps! I think it will be easier to understand.
Pick a platform & blog name!
- Pick a catchy name! Make it easy for people to remember and not too long.
- Pick a platform that works best for YOU! I love Tumblr & WordPress the best but you can use Blogspot or Livejournal if you wish. Warning! A lot of people do not see tumblr as a blogging platform BUT it is slowing changing. People are starting to see tumblr as a way to blog.
- Make your blog easy to use! Make sure people can see how to get to your recommendations, reviews and posts!
- Make your blog reflect the type of books you will be posting about. I have a central look for my bookish photos and I want my blog to reflect that look because it will make everything look whole and consistent.
- Be active! Have a Schedule! Post regularly!
- It is so important that you post at least 3 to 2 times a week.
- Write posts ahead of time & have some posts in your queue. This will help you be less stressed. Pick a day every week just to write up posts so you will always have some ready to go!
- Write REVIEWS! (If you want I will write a post about how to write book reviews.)
- Answer all/most of your comments and messages. Talk to your followers about books and have fun! Be kind and positive!
- Make friends with other bloggers. Talk to people and fangirl about books! I know that it can be scary to talk to other bloggers but all the bloggers that I have met are so sweet and kind.
- DO NOT PROMOTE YOUR BLOG ON OTHER PEOPLE’S POSTS!
- Use different social medias to connect with your followers!
- Make your own content such as tags!
- Be original with your posts, photos, and blog! Don’t steal someone’s look.
- Be creative! Always be thinking about ideas and ways to improve yourself and your blog.
- Be honest with your thoughts and feelings on a book or series.
- Stay up to date with new books, author signings, bookish events and bookish tags. I am not saying to only read mainstream books!
- Be informed about books. You need to be knowledgeable about books since you are blogging about them.
- It is not all about the followers!!
- Have fun!
I hope that this is helpful for you! If you want me to expand on anything then please send me a message. I can also write a post about ‘How to Write Book Reviews’ or ‘Ways to get ARCs’ or something. Thank you for reading this long post and I hope that have a fun time blogging. Good Luck!